Monday, March 19, 2012

Landscapes and Seascapes

Most of my landscape and seascapes paintings are from fotos. A usual source is the online Wet Canvas!
[Of course, there are a lot of landscape ptgs on my PA section]
BTW, the objective of the short sketches on this thread is to hone my skills to paint rapidly and relatively accurately (about an hour but certainly less than 1 hr)
The purpose? Plain aire, where the scene evolves!

But first a pencil sketch

The painting below is from a very interesting website
Each month, the host, Bill Guffey, selects a location
somewhere in the world using Google Map
The object for the artist is to find a location on that map,
use Google Street View to find a desirable
painting scene, download the scene, draw or paint it,
and post the effort on the blog
The scene below is from the town of
Kooge, Zealand Island, Denmark
9 x 12 on canvas panel - Sep 2012

Below is another, this one from Split, Croatia
October 2012 ptg, 9 x 12 on canvas paper
Not a good foto of it, because paper curled


As I've mentioned, WetCanvas! has a forum called Weekend Drawing Event or WDE. 16 photos are presented and forum followers select one or many to draw or paint over a 5 or 7 day period (until the next week!). The painting below is from the 28 Sep 2012 WDE - 9 x 12 on canvas paper, < 1 hr painting time

The painting below is from WC All Media Events
15 Sep 2012 - Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
Impressionistic 9 x 12 on canvas panel, 1 h
Painted with a 9 mm hog bristle brush
except for the lighthouse


The painting below is from WC All Media Events
9 Sep 2012 - A Shop in Belize
Impressionistic 8 x 10 on canvas panel, 2 h
First time I can remember waiting for
acrylic to dry - 100% humidity, 80F


The next two paintings are from
WC All Media Events of 24 Aug 2012
They are both 9 x 12 on canvas paper
The first took ~30 min
The second ~1 h
These were painted mostly with a 1/2-inch
very coarse hog bristle brush



The painting below is of Rose Island lighthouse
It was the WC Aug 2012 challenge ITSO Hopper
12 x 16 on canvas panel, ~3.5 h

The one below is from WDE 27 Oct 2012
9 x 12 on canvas paper, ~1 h or less
A bridge in Crete



This one from WC 5 Aug 2012
All Media Weekend Event
9 x 12 canvas paper, ~45 min


The one below is from 10 Aug 2012 WC
All Media Weekend Event
9 x 12 canvas paper, <45 min


I've added some additional paintings below
Most of these are from WC challenges
All Media Weekend Events
Usually 9 x 12 on canvas paper










In the style of (ITSO) Grant Wood

ITSO Cezanne






What follows are more paintings from Wet Canvas! challenges. All Media Weekend Event
All 9 x 12 on canvas paper


The painting above was from a Weekend Drawing Event
of several years ago - Venice Canal
The painting below was from WC Acrylic
Challenge for Oct 2012
It's 12 x 20 on canvas panel
Works well in the $50 frame I bought for the
other 12 x 20 paintings here


The one below is 12 x 16 on canvas panel
  [The one below is a paint-over of the one above]

Back to the WC All Media Weekend Event Paintings








[The painting below is the smallest I've ever done - 1.5 x 2 inches] 


This is from my foto taken in Bangkok on the Water Market 16 x 20


The May 2012 Acrylic Challenge on WC was a foto from Africa of an Acacia Tree. In about an hour I turned it into an ITSO early Mondrian. 9 x 12 on canvas paper


Below really doesn't qualify as a landscape
I found this chunk of photo on the street
and decided to paint it against the bricks of the street
12 x 16 on canvas panel

Below is a color ptg of a b+W pic from 19th Century Medina Ohio 12 x 16

Below is a WC landscape challenge in 2012 - 12 x 20
This looks great in weathered frame
Below is another 12 x 20 panorama ptg
I don't like this one as much as the rowboat above
Nevertheless it too looks good in a weatherbeaten frame


Below is another - a 1 h sketch about 8 x 10 or so

Below is a ptg of my son-in-law's foto from the FL Panhandle. I call it Cypress Creek - 24 x 30

The ptg below is the Oct 2012 WC Acrylic Challenge
Venice Canal - in a pseudo-impressionistic style, sorta
And yes, it is distorted - 12 x 20 on canvas panel
[An update - the rules on the challenge is that
no one can post their work until the 20th of the month
WC crashed at precisely the instant I was
downloading this ptg. For six days, I was unable
to sign back in. The powers that be kept insisting that I was trying to hack into my own IP address
They insisted that I create new password, which I did - 11 times!
So I created a "new me."
My old handle was OLD_HOBBYIST
I joined WC more than 7 yr ago
My new handle is NO-ONE-HOME
and I'm a BRAND NEW MEMBER!]



I've been doing WC challenges in various artist styles
Below is ITSO Bierstadt

Below is an ITSO Cezanne

The next two are ITSO Mondrian
Mondrian's painting style changed dramatically in 1908
The first was early in the year
The second was later that year (12 x 16)


Below is ITSO Feininger - 8 x 10

I'll bet you couldn't guess this is an ITSO Monet!
12 x 16 canvas panel

Below is an odd painting
It is a distortion of a farm scene
The blob is the side of the barn
Playing with abstract concepts, I guess

Below is another odd one
This was a photo from Wet Canvas
It is supposed to be some creature in the sea
I saw it as another abstract, sorta like roads connecting cities 

A straight-up ptg from a photo  9 x 12 canvas paper


Below is of Weaver Park, with a stylized cloud structure
Based on a PA painting

From a Wet Canvas Challenge - Turned out pretty good
I'll put it also in my really good paintings thread as well

Below - Destin, Florida - Sun and picket fence
The wood grain took forever

Below are two scenes of the Calidesi Bridge
Working on Turner Skies


Another challenge from Wet Canvas - three primary colors

ITSO Edward Hopper?
Again, these are from Wet Canvas Challenges




Below other WC Weekend Drawing Event efforts 


So, why are there two of those below?
Because I wanted to do two of the same view? Right!









The one below is from a foto taken by my son-in-law
I think this was done in heat-set oils circa 2002

1 comment:

  1. hello old hobbyist, can you give me a price for your painting of the rose island lighthouse? Thanks so much for your time.

    jamie

    ReplyDelete