Saturday, March 17, 2012

Other versions of easel set-ups and other things

I've already posted my PA easel set-up. Here are three more. The first is a tabletop easel that has extended legs to allow me to stand while painting. The second is the conversion of an ancient wooden ladder into a very rugged studio easel, the studio being my garage. And the third is my set-up in my studio, with a tabletop easel propped on a workbench. Unfortunately the studio set-up is the best I can do at present. Some day I hope to have a REAL studio.





As you can see below, one issue is the shop light
First its flourescent, and second it restricts the height of my support. The ptg on the easel is 16 inches high
The max is 20 inchea high. The second issue is heat, humidity, and mosquitos in the summer (Florida)
and cold in the winter. Although it never gets to freezing, acrylic paint gets pretty stiff around 5C


Many real artists use still life or 'staging' boxes to stage and light their collections. While these are available ready-made from art supply stores, they're pricey. So I made my own. I bought a 16" cardboard packing box


I use a box fold so that I can reflatten the box when I finish


I cut flaps on the side and top for light input


I then position my articles in the box and shine a light through one of the flaps. Oh, I use binder clips to hold the flaps in place. Neat, huh?
BTW, I usually photograph the set-up many times, rearranging as I go. Then I either paint from one of the fotos or make up a ptg from several 


No comments:

Post a Comment